Thursday, April 11, 2013

London!

I was fortunate enough to spend my spring break in London, reading Barbara Pym and going out for tea everyday. I stayed in Marble Arch on the Central Line.


















My big excursion was going to Windsor to see Queen Mary's dollhouse. The round tower is the most stereotypically castle-y aspect of the sprawling campus:



The cornerstone goes back to the first Elizabeth:



And there is ice cream made from the royal dairies!



Some other interesting (and appropriately bookish) things: There's a new Agatha Christie monument near Leicester Square:



In Paternoster Square, a plinth commemorates the 20 million books destroyed in The Blitz:



I didn't buy too many books, but I was tickled to find John Lanchester's What We Talk About When We Talk About the Tube, which had just been featured in The Guardian, in the British Library shop.

Now, back to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment