Monday, August 3, 2015

Glory Glory!

I have always enjoyed the Walden list from the Assembly for Literature for Adolescents of the National Council of Teachers of English (ALAN), and I do think the Walden Committee has outdone itself this year.

The five finalists are splendid, and varied, and four of them are by women.


The 2015 Amelia Elizabeth Walden Award Finalists

Diamond Boy by Michael Williams
Gabi, A Girl in Pieces by Isabel Quintero
Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future by A.S. King
The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson
Revolution (The Sixties Trilogy) by Deborah Wiles

We all know how I feel about Gabi... but the winner, Glory O'Brien, shook my world for weeks. I kept looking at people, wandering around like I'd drunk that bat and saw that same awful future where women were chattel without personal agency, in the name of protecting the family.




It was dark, but so so moving. Bravo A.S. King. See you in Minneapolis in November!

No comments:

Post a Comment